Wednesday, September 07, 2005

So long, old Hyundai

I confess I was disappointed when Miss K decided she wanted her car back. My dad flew her up here last night. She spent the night with us and just left to go back to Baton Rouge. She really had an ordeal. She was rescued from the American Can building by boat and then was airlifted out of the city. Now she's determined to go back to rescue her cat.

I recognize that I am colder and more self-centered than big-hearted people like her. I am worried about Miss P and feel bad about leaving her behind, but rescuing her is not my main priority. Anyway, since Miss K is such an animal lover, she's trying to get Miss P out, too. Actually, she might have been rescued yesterday and sent to a shelter in Baton Rouge. If she turns up I'd drive down to get her.

But now I am carless. Actually, in my parents' household we now have two vehicles for three drivers--only in America would that not be enough. But absolutely nothing is within walking or even biking distance here, and if you tried to ride a bike you'd get flattened. And I hate having to ask to use the car--I feel like I've regressed 20 years, and I feel trapped.

Today I'm driving my dad's monster truck. It's really too big. I hope I don't have to drive it when I go downtown to crunchy green environmental law firm.

I registered with FEMA to see if I can eventually get some financial help. I'm sure I'm not at the top of the list, but that's okay.

I'm writing a story for the Phoenix papers in New England, I'm researching ATV use in Missouri parks for the law firm, and I'm going to be teaching an ACT class for the Princeton Review. So at least I have something to do besides freak out, and a little bit of money coming my way.

But I'm starting to think about all the peoople I know who I didn't consult on my way out of town and don't know how to contact now--Miss L and all the people I used to work with and all my old beaux.

No comments: