Friday, September 16, 2005

God bless New Orleans

On the news--people drinking in a bar in the French Quarter that has stayed open more or less the whole time. I didn't recognize it in the brief shot they showed on television. But god bless New Orleans, keeping the drinks coming at all costs. Also, the Times-Picayune reassures us that there's going to be a Mardi Gras next year.

My neighborhood is re-opening a week from today. But now I have commitments here until the beginning of November, and nothing much to do there but maybe guard my stuff. I'd like to go back, but staying here will be more bearable knowing there's a definite end in sight.

I'm feeling much more committed to doing environmental law in the wake of all this mess, although I've had a wakeup call about whether I could afford to work for a non-profit firm.

I heard that all the toxins in the water that's being pumped into the lake will drain into the Gulf and ruin Louisiana's fisheries for 25 years. All those oystermen and shrimpers were already having a hard time; now it's pretty much over for them. Their livelihood is gone, and some of the crucial ingredients in New Orleans cooking. I never really understood the big deal about shrimp until I lived in New Orleans.

I haven't been able to contact any of my former co-workers, but their bylines have started to pop up on Tulane's website. They must all be in Houston where the school's administration has temporarily set up operations.

I find myself getting annoyed with my parents and snipping at them. They do know how to try a girl's patience. But I must remind myself that they are letting me stay here rent-free, loaning me their cars, and putting up with my dog and soon my cat. I ought to do a better job of showing appreciation or at least not being a total bitch.

No comments: