Thursday, September 01, 2005

regrets

Living in New Orleans, I always knew this could happen. I thought that when the big one came I would do what I had to do to get out in one piece, and cut my losses concerning my material possessions. And that's what I did. I wasn't thinking clearly when I was packing, but I knew that there wasn't anything that would be totally devastated to lose. Still, the thought of having to replace almost everthing is overwhelming.

The things I regret leaving behind:

-Miss P. Maybe it's silly to mourn a cat when there's so much human misery down there, but she was a personable and unusually gregarious cat, small and very pretty. Hank misses her. He's being uncharacteristically calm. I think he's depressed.

-Certain contents of my footlocker: letters from my grandmother and others, my old stories and notebooks, photographs.

-My CDs and records. I have 24 CDs with me in a carrying case--the jewel cases are back at the house with all the other several hundred CDs in my collection. I had even more books, but they seem more expendable or replaceable.

-My 40's vintage black suede open-toed high-heeled shoes. I have big feet and vintage shoes never fit me. But way back in Nashville I found this pair, they were so cute, they fit perfectly, they were actually comfortable and I've kept them all this time.

No comments: