Monday, October 31, 2005

The news of the day

Is that my sister is going to marry her Pennsyltucky beau. I've not actually met him in person, but the signs suggest he is a good guy. Also, he looks cute in the pictures I've seen. On the phone, he has that bizarre York County accent.

So, I'm happy for her. Also, a little bit relieved. And just the tiniest bit jealous. Even though I get skeevy at the thought of the state of marriage, I'm envious that someone, a good guy, wants to marry her, has chosen her. It's kind of hollow for me to say that I don't want to get married when no one's asking anyway.

However, MM has promised to send me a case of Mallo Cups, and I'll be thrilled if he follows through. Of course I could buy my own box of Mallo Cups, but that seems either too decadent or too pathetic. And besides... oh, well, nevermind, let's not go there.

Miss S called today to say that she saw the Hot 8 brass band playing in Times Square today when she was on her way to work. She said they were adorable and they made her cry. They're playing a benefit for New Orleans tonight in New York.

In an odd coincidence, there was a man outside my office this afternoon playing "St. James Infirmary" on the trumpet. But he was playing from sheet music and it was not exactly the same. It just made me feel ten trillion miles away from New Orleans, where Glenn David Andrews used to belt it ghetto-style.

No comments: