Monday, October 03, 2005

What to do?

I thought the DOJ had blown me off, but they called today and offered me a paying internship in the division of the environment and natural resources, assuming I pass the background check. In the meantime, the university wants me to start tomorrow. What to do?

I don't want to pass up this opportunity--it's usually very hard to get an internship at the DOJ. I'd rather be in DC than here, and in fact I think it's likely I'll eventually end up in DC if I don't stay in New Orleans.

But I don't feel right about dumping the obligations I've acquired here. I guess the hard thing is that the job at Washington University would represent an opportunity and a promotion if I had stayed in the job that I just left to go to law school.

The silver lining is that I've just demonstrated that I'm actually pretty marketable--my stuckness was a function of New Orleans' bad and very limited economy and the appeal of its non-work-related activities, and not a reflection on my skills and talents.

No comments: