Monday, October 03, 2005

Guilt & Music

I was going to post a picture of my new car, but I don't want to do anything that would seem like bragging about owning a BMW. I've never suffered much from liberal guilt--unlike A, who sometimes seems to feel guilty for sucking air. But Katrina has drawn such a stark line between New Orleans' haves and have-nots. There were times when I felt in danger of landing on the wrong side of the line, but it turns out that I am safely amongst the "haves." And yet I don't feel like I have enough to be much help to anyone else right now.

Before now, I didn't realize how large A looms in my head. It's not like we're the best of friends. I haven't talked to him in at least three weeks. But I have an ongoing mental conversation with him. We have intellectual chemistry of some strange sort.

Last year, the sometimes-great, sometimes-tedious Dirty Dozen Brass Band released an album called "Funeral for a Friend" in honor of Tuba Fats. They're at their old-school best on it. But now it seems like a record of mourning for New Orleans.

Other New Orleans music getting heavy play on my ipod:

Treme Brass Band “Gimme My Money Back”

Lil Rascals Brass Band “Knock With Me-Rock With Me”

Rebirth Brass Band “Let Me Do My Thing” “Do Whatcha Wanna”

R. Scully “Corkscrew” “It Ain’t So Bad, Goodbye” "Gas Money" "Night is Welcome" "Little Miss"--oh hell, his whole recond.

Morning 40 Federation “Professional” “Stinky” “9th Ward”

Mystikal, “Bouncin Back”

The Party Boys “We Got a Party”

And of course, Professor Longhair “Go to the Mardi Gras”

I think I'll probably cry like a baby if I ever hear "12 Yats of Christmas" again, especially with its reference to the 17th Street Canal.

Anyway, instead of my car, I'll post Miss P. In this case the "P" stands for "pissed."

No comments: