Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Generic

Remember back in the late 70s or early 80s when generic products first hit the grocery stores? The packaging was basic black and white and the labels just said "corn" or "sugar" or whatever?

The template I'm using for this blog is one part old-school generic and one part New York Times austere authority.* It's not exciting, but I like it. It's easy to read. But I'm thinking I'd like to have a side column for a blogroll and whatnot. I've been looking at websites that help clueless bloggers like me design a template just by picking colors and basic layouts. But I want this one, only with a sidebar. I noticed Blogger provides some basic html instruction, but it doesn't address this problem.


*It's also a tiny bit Drudge Report, but nevermind that.

3 comments:

kellycoxsemple said...

The company that I work for actually helped create that generic program (obviously long before I worked there). I remember having a white t-shirt with those big black stencil-type letters that said "T-Shirt." Too funny.

Good luck with your redesign. You're brave to attempt HTML! I'm a template slave.

Miss H said...

It's really funny to think that someone actually designed that packaging. I wish I had a can of generic peas or something as a collectible.

I don't think I'm going to be able to figure out the html. I can never even manage to make a hyperlink.

I like your blog, BTW, and I think you have good taste in music. Which is just about the highest compliment I can bestow on anyone.

kellycoxsemple said...

Thanks for the compliment on both my blog and my taste in music. I've been a decades-long subscriber of the belief that not all great songs end up on pop radio. The world misses out on some of the best music simply because it doesn't sound like everything else that's popular on that given day.