Saturday, August 26, 2006

Ernesto & my amazing powers of prediction

I think chances are good that we will celebrate Katrina's anniversary with another hurricane evacuation. I'm not saying it's necessarily going to be a bad storm or a direct hit, but I think it will be big enough and close enough for an evacuation to be called.

However, since my powers of prediction are notoriously poor, perhaps I have just protected the city by saying so.

I'm kind of hoping for a semi-false-alarm evacuation, where we stay gone for about a week until the power comes back on. I had promised to spend the Labor Day weekend with my parents for my dad's retirement party. Then I learned that I would get my first set of sub and cites for the journal on Friday, and only ten days to finish them. Which means that at best I'll be able to rush up there, give my dad a hug, and rush back down. Unless we get a little hurrication that closes the school from Wednesday till Monday...

Addendum: in the just released forecast map, it looks like a direct hit. That does NOT make me happy. I want a few days off, not disaster upon disaster. It's not a hurricane yet, maybe it won't get very strong or maybe it will shift direction.

No comments: