Friday, June 30, 2006

Where's the champagne and fireworks?

I started this blog a little over a year ago by saying that my life was going to change drastically because I was quitting my job, moving across town, and starting law school.

Ha ha ha ha ha. I crack myself up.

Anyway, today I am officially finished with my first year of law school.

I would be happy, except I also got my appellate brief back today and I got a C on it. That means I am going to get at best a B- in that class. You don't know how humiliating it is for a former professional writer and editor to get a C in legal research and writing.

At least it's not a very big part of my GPA. I think I did fine on all my exams, but I might have a tendency to overestimate how well I do.

I was going to try to write onto the law journal, but now I wonder if I should bother. I don't know how much my grade can be explained away by my great personal dislike of the teacher. I don't think she had any personal dislike against me, and anyway grading is anonymous. I just couldn't stand to listen to her and tuned her out a lot. It was very juvenile of me.

I'm just having a little bit of a self-pity moment. I should get an A just for surviving this year! I should have people patting me on the back and saying "You did great!"

Oh well.

I have to clean up the house because Hank's sitter is going to be staying here and I don't want her to be grossed out. I'm going to see Mr. M for the holiday. I've only talked to him a couple of times this week. He says he's still in a lot of pain and he sounds like it. He's staying at his mom's house while he recovers, and she will make me sleep in the guest room. But he says he still wants me to come up, and I want to see him. So off I go.

What I need is about a month on a secluded tropical island with a pristine beach, and a massusse and a cabana boy to bring me drinks.

1 comment:

kellycoxsemple said...

(patting Miss H. on the back)... "You did great!"

Seriously, you should be incredibly proud of yourself for everything you've accomplished in the past year, given the extraordinary circumstances. I think everyone would understand if you'd chosen to postpone or change your plans, but you persevered and adapted. Congratulations!