Saturday, June 17, 2006

This fucking town

Yesterday, Mr. M's dad was giving me a hard time for staying in New Orleans when it shouldn't even exist. I said that made me love it even more. But then...

Five kids shot shot dead in half-abandoned Central City, over the usual drugs and territory. And to prove that honkies do stupid shit too, in the suburbs a guy shot two deputies and held an 81-year-old man hostage in his home.

In the meantime, I'm driving down St. Charles and there's a bunch of people marching down the neutral ground with signs that say "Make this Neighborhood Mixed Income." I wonder what they expect--some former Rex to carve up his mansion on the Avenue into Section 8 housing? Or do they not think uptown as a whole is mixed income? I suppose the crack market on my corner and the ghetto hoodrats who are scratching up my car are being bused in?

Okay, I understand the larger problem that housing prices are going up and up in every inhabitable neighborhood, which is one of the reasons it's hard for people who want to come back to do so.

Maybe we should have subsidized housing for people who aren't certifiable dumbasses, because we definitely need to raise the overall average intelligence around here.

No comments: