Saturday, August 27, 2005

Spooky

WTUL just signed off the air.

Miss S called on the way to her catering gig, feeling panicky.

Her neighor with a bunch of pets is staying. Maybe they can be talked into babysitting Hank and I will flee with Miss S in the morning. But she's thinking maybe she will stay, and it seems probable I will too.

The house is old and has survived Betsy and Camille and all the bad storms of the past. Probably the house will shake in the wind and the power will go off and stay off for a few days and the streets will be underwater, but that will be the worst of it. If I understand correctly, it's not coming from the direction it would have to if if it were to fill the bowl and be the big one that leaves the city under water for six months. I hope not, anyway.

Someone suggested I go check into the Hotel Monaco downtown, which accepts pets. Then I'd be with other people, and up on a higher floor, and hotels have generators that should keep it powered when Entergy gets knocked out. Maybe. We'll see.

I've written a lot about how I'm a loner and an introvert and not cut out for a standard relationship, and that's all true. But I won't lie: right now I wish I had a boyfriend, a capable boyfriend (with a gun and an ax and a pirogue...) who would either get me out of here or stay with me through this thing.

No comments: