Sunday, August 14, 2005

Let's go

The last two weeks of free time have been a luxury, but the last few days have been a bit torpid. It would have been better if I hadn't been deeply broke. But I'm ready for something to happen. I don't want to go back to the pubs office, so bring on this law school nonsense. If it's a mistake, let's find out.

Hank is sleeping and twitching. He's very cute.

My mother called to wish me luck, but managed to annoy me. She said she hopes the next three years will go by quickly and then I can get out of New Orleans. Also, she declines to send me a check to help me through this dry spell. I've got a dollar in cash and a negative bank balance.

My mom is a lovely person, but she can be cold and controlling. I suppose this is the sort of thing that looks like nothing to an outside observer, but she really got under my skin, as only mothers can do. She can't stand me living in New Orleans, but she hasn't liked me living anywhere I've lived. Sometimes I hate New Orleans, but I can't really think of anywhere else I would rather live, not in this country, anyway, and if I do move for I can promise her and everyone else that it won't be anywhere near the god-afflicted midwest.

As for her well-established tighwad-ness (actually a real anxiety about money, almost equal to her anxiety about sex) one of the goals of the great law school adventure is to be able to better take care of myself so as not to have to lean on parents or boyfriends or whomever.

It's ironic and appropriate that my law school career starts with a career services orientation tomorrow (at 8 a.m.)--and that I'll be going to it with a dollar in my pocket.

I'm still working on the essay I started on Aug. 8. It needs scenes, or at least pictures, I think.

Miss S and I went to see Skeleton Key on Friday. It was okay, not as cheesy as a movie about the hoodoo set in and around New Orleans could be. It was a good-looking film. The neighborhood where the main character lives in the beginning of the movie is my old neighborhood. I remember when they were shooting in that triangle-shaped building at the corner of Magazine & Sophie Wright. The second scene takes place in the Half Moon, where my last two romantic misadventures played out. It's all about two blocks from the Grouchy Norwegian's Ghetto Laundromat. I thought it was amusing that the hoodoo shop in the movie was in the back of a laundromat, which are notorious dens of bad-doings.

No comments: