Saturday, August 27, 2005

Get me out of here

Law school is hard. Suprise? The first week was relentless. I really like it, I like all my classes and I have great professors. I knew it was going to be a lot of work, it was just a shock to the system--one day I'm in lazy unemployed goofing-off mode and the next day I'm studying 12 hours a day.

Yesterday classes were over by noon. And all the checks I've been waiting on arrived in the last few days. So I blew off studying, and went shopping on Magazine Street for sneakers and bras and jeans. In the evening I took Miss S out for a belated birthday dinner at Ralph's on the Park (yum). Then we went to the Circle Bar to see Egg Yolk Jubilee. I drank a little to much--for me almost anything is too much. I didn't sleep well and woke up too early, cranky and worried about how I was going to focus on all the reading I had to do.

And then the news announcer on the radio told us that this hurricane had us in its crosshairs.

I logged into my email and read that classes have been cancelled till Thursday. The school usually dicks around a bit before making up their minds about shutting down, so that seems a sign that this is serious.

If I had a car, I would have packed it up and left this morning. But I don't have a car, and I do have Hank.

AD is organizing a caravan of cars to (probably) Lafayette that I could get a space in. But they may or may not be able to take Hank. Also, they're not leaving till tonight because they're waiting for P to fly in from Portland! If I were in Portland I would stay there. Or I could leave with Miss S, but I can't take Hank with her because her cat would have a stroke. Also, she can't leave till tomorrow morning because she has to work tonight catering a party! What the fuck are these people thinking by not cancelling? I have another possible dog-friendly ride to Memphis but I don't know the parties very well at all and they're also not leaving till the morning.

The contraflow has already started. The highways are already full. I'm afraid that if you leave tomorrow traffic will be so slow that you'll be sitting on the highway when the storm hits. If I'm going to be here for it, I'd rather be in my house.

I went to Langenstein's this morning and got some groceries. It's hard to know what to get. If I'm staying, I should go back and get more groceries and some dogfood and a flashlight since I lost mine in the move.

If anyone reading this is in New Orleans and you're evacuating tonight and you can take a girl and a dog and cat, please get in touch. I've got money and I can leave on short notice. I gave the dog a bath this afternoon so he won't stink up your car too bad, though he will deposit some hair and slobber. But I'll buy you an industrial size jug of Febreeze.

This sucks.

No comments: