Friday, July 21, 2006

Bikini Girls with Machine Guns



I know I'm kinda late to the party, but all of a sudden I really love the Cramps.

See, Alex Chilton produced the first Cramps album around 1980 or so. Chilton was a fallen god to my ex-husband, and everything in his ouevre got a lot of play at our house. I didn't like it at the time. Partly cause my tastes were wandering elsewhere. Partly cause the childish and contentious dynamic of our relationship made it hard for me to like anything he liked. Partly out of some hipster reverse psychology, like if I rejected what the cool kids liked, that made me even more cool.

Maybe now I'm having a midlife crisis in which I reconsider and take comfort from the punk-psychobilly bands of my youth.

Whatever.

Right now they sound like everything rock 'n' roll was supposed to be. Loud. Rude. Fun. Cathartic.

Plus, you know, the guitarist is a chick, the singer is a guy.

No comments: