Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Amazing

I remember four years ago when Kerry-supporters posted their post-election apologies on the web, asking the world's forgiveness for failing to stop Bush's reelection. This time, we have redeemed ourselves and then some. I personally am proud to have helped turn Virginia blue.

The damage of the last eight years is done, and can't be undone. I don't think that Obama walks on water and works miracles. But he is ridiculously smart, a refreshing change in a president. He is even-handed, charismatic, and from all evidence seems to be a truly good human being. He ran a campaign to be proud of, with no sleaze and a minimum of talking down to the voters.

In some ways, his race feels like a footnote, but nevertheless the affect of his election on race relations and on the psyches of black Americans is and will be profound.

Alas, he didn't call me up and offer me a job right after his speech last night. Still, I feel better about everything right now.

No comments: