Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Bookishness

Because I am broke, I can't afford to go to the ophthalmologist, and since I can't go to the ophthalmologist for my overdue yearly eye exam, I can't order new contacts, and so I am back to wearing my glasses everyday, for the first time in almost thirty years. And since I am broke and can't afford bookstores, movie theaters or my Netflix subscription, I have rediscovered the public library, which has become my main source of entertainment after the internet. New Orleans had such an awful public library, I forgot what an amazing thing a public library can be. Also, I am back in the east, and with the glasses and the library books and the chill of a real autumn and the return to a hilly landscape, I feel like the bookish, bespectacled, library-loving little girl of the Pennsylvania hills that I used to be has reemerged.

I like that Richmond reconnects the separated parts of my life, Eastern meets Southern. Let's forget all about that misguided Midwestern episode, shall we?

I could be perfectly at home here if I could just FIND A JOB, and then PAY MY RENT.

No comments: